FMAJ7 Guitar Chord – How To Play & Finger Positions

The major seventh guitar chord or (Fmaj7 guitar chord) is made from four different types of elements namely the root, the major third, the perfect fifth, and the major seventh.

It is also made up of four notes, F, A, C, and E.

There specific songs in which this chord can be used.

These are pop songs, folk songs, rock songs, and jazz music.

This is mainly because of the kind of sound that this chord produces

Fmaj7 Guitar Chord

How To Play Fmaj7 Guitar Chord

Fmaj7 Chord

This chord is quite interesting and not complicated to play. It is easy enough to be played even by beginners.

The easiest version of fmaj7

This version can be easily played with two fingers across three strings.

You have to avoid the last three strings (4, 5, 6,) because you do not need to hit them. You will be using only the first three strings (1, 2, 3).

1. Your second finger goes on the 3rd string (G) on the second fret.
  2. Your first finger goes on the 2nd string (B) on the first fret.
  3. The first fret (E) is an open chord.

When strumming, keep the string open. Do not play the A string or the lower E string

Things To Avoid When Playing Fmaj7 Chord

Avoid Analysis Paralysis

Often people think too hard when trying to play the chord and end up not strumming anything at all. They take too long trying to line up their fingers and thinking about whether on not they are on the right strings. At the learning stages, students should never overanalyze as this could make it difficult for them to eventually start playing what they have memorized with their brains.

You should aim to hit the string as you normally would but this time from a lower position than usual. Drop the forearm by a few inches and strum as you normally would, without exerting too much pressure.

There has to be a shorter amount of pick between the body of the guitar and your fingers, to achieve this, you have to hold the plectrum closer to the pointed end.

This will relatively improve your ability to play while intentionally missing strings and hence makes it easier for you to play the f major seventh chord.

The Open Posistion

Using the open position as a starting point makes it easier to learn a new chord. This lessens the strain on the hands and the forearm because you play the open strings as part of the chord. If you are having too much trouble playing the f major 7 chord, try playing it in smaller fragments and gradually build up from there.

If you are using the open position to play the chord, you start by two strings, build up until you get to the entire chord. You should take the time to experiment with different finger positioning structures in order to figure out what best works for you and your hands. Everyone is different and hence, is comfortable in a different position. Some of the most common positions can be quite uncomfortable for other people and this is why it is important that you find your best position.

Also Read: How To Tune A Guitar With And Without A Tuner?

The Movable Positions

The Movable E Shape

Movable chords are chords that can be easily moved into other keys without necessarily changing the position of your fingers. If you master these, changing to other chords becomes a lot easier.

For this method, you use 4 fingers. The index finger goes on the lower string E on the 5th fret. The pinky finger goes all the way to the 7th fret and on the A string. While the middle finger goes on the 6th fret and on the D string. The ring finger is also on the 6th fret and on the G string.

The Movable A Shape

This method requires an understanding of the order of notes on the A string. Understanding the progression of notes on the A string also helps you clearly notice the full octave from A to G#. Try starting with the open position the move then try moving to different positions using the same chord shape.

This may be difficult at first, especially if you are a beginner but it becomes easier as you continue to practice.

The Movable D Shape

This method of playing resembles the Dmaj7 chord in an open position. This shape is a lot easier to remember because it goes a bit higher on the D string to the 7th fret. This version will sound significantly different from the other versions because it goes into the higher register of the guitar. To play this shape, you can start off with 4 fingers, in the long run, it is, however, easier to bar the other three strings (G, B, and high E).

If you will be using 4 fingers, this is the recommended positioning:

The index finger goes to the D string on the 7th fret. The middle finger goes to the G string on the 9th fret. The ring finger goes to the B string also on the 9th fret. The pinky finger goes the high E also on the 9th fret.

Also Read: What Is A Guitar Chord? – Learn Guitar Chords.

Things To Note About The Fmaj7 Guitar Chord

When playing the f major 7 chord you only play strings from 1 to 4.

There are easier ways of playing the chord, you just need to be able to separate the methods.

You should also be able to work your fingers around the different string and frets.

In Conclusion, playing the fmaj7 guitar chord can be difficult depending on the method of playing you are using.

The chord is used to produce some of the best jazz sounds because it is softer and laid back.

You need to be able to master the basic technique of strumming while missing strings and also the technique of switching codes.

Anyone can learn this key, you just need to be patient and devoted enough.

More Articles To Read:

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne is a long time guitar enthusiast that is forever learning more about the craft of guitars. Whether it's playing guitars, building them, prepping them to be played or just talking about them. Wayne would be the guy to go to.

60 thoughts on “FMAJ7 Guitar Chord – How To Play & Finger Positions”

1. Firstly i read all this article line by line and then watched the video you mentioned above,after that i pratciced playing Guiter and whole my playing way changed, i was unknown how to change coed and finger position,but this article taught me everything i need.thanks for your help to me.i really l;ike this article.

2. This post helps me to learn plying guiter. Very helpful post.I shall follow all the post of yours. Never miss any of the post.

3. This article is really very helpful for me. I read all article lines one by one then I practice it and really this is a wonder, I learn how to play Fmaj7 Guitar Chord. Thanks for this article to share with us. They will help many people like me. Thanks.

4. Your article is amazing man.You elaborately described about FMAJ7 guitar Chord – How To Play & Finger Positions and also add a video.Yes if we want to develop our guitar playing we need to be more patient and devoted on it.

• This article is very helpful for me. I read all the article lines one by one. It’s really good for me.
      I learned to play the Fmaj7 guitar chord. Thanks for sharing this article with us. Many like me will benefit a lot from reading the article.

5. I have learned a lot from this article. This article is very helpful for me. My work has become much easier after reading this. Everyone needs to read this article

6. This article is very very important and I am very helpful . I had read the full article . I am learning this article. Thanks article writer . thanks

7. I am a beginner of learning guitar. I always used to have a problem placing my 2nd finger in the string.But this article resolved this problem for me.I also got to know about different methods of playing .Thanks for sharing this.

8. Firstly i read all this article line by line and then watched the video you mentioned above,after that i pratciced playing Guiter and whole my playing way changed, i was unknown how to change coed and finger position,but this article taught me everything i need.thanks for your help to me.i really l;ike this article.

9. wow..!
    this is amazing article.This article is very helpful for me.thanks for the usefull topic. i resly like this article. thanks for you sharing this article.

10. Wonderful article on guitar hand placing method,Firstly i read all this article line by line and then watched the video you mentioned above,after that i pratciced playing Guiter and whole my playing way changed, i was unknown how to change coed and finger position,but this article taught me everything i need.thanks for your help to me.i really like this article.Recommend all buddy to take help from this article for perfect way.

11. This post helps me to learn plying guiter. Very helpful post.I shall follow all the post of yours. Never miss any of the post.
    Thanks for sharing for us

12. really cool i have learned a lot of this from this guide. I wanted to learn about guitter and finally i hope i can learn from here thanks for the amaging guide.. ❤

13. First of all the article is very beautiful and very good for learning guitar. You can easily learn to play the guitar by reading articles from here. here is a video to learn how to play the guitar.

14. wow ..the article is very beautiful and very good for learning guitar. i was finding this type of video .. I can easily learn to play the guitar by reading articles from here. here is a video to learn how to play the guitar.

15. I read all this article line by line and then watched the video you mentioned above,after that i pratciced playing Guiter and whole my playing way changed. thanks for your help to me. I really like this article.

• Wow, it’s really great article for everyone. Playing the guitar has become much easier for all the methods you have shown. It has helped me a lot and I have learned a lot. Thank you so much for the article

16. Finally i got a good read about guitar chords. The Fmaj7 guitar chord is interesting, beautiful, and easy to play. It’s used in folk, rock, pop, and jazz music, so it’s an unusually versatile chord.

17. This article very very useful. I read properly full the article and I am happy. I can easily learn to play the guitar by reading articles from here. Thanks a lot. Most thanks writer.

18. Este artículo muy muy útil. Leí correctamente el artículo completo y estoy feliz. Puedo aprender fácilmente a tocar la guitarra leyendo artículos desde aquí. Muchas gracias. Muchas gracias escritor.

19. This article is really very helpful for me. I read all article lines one by one then I practice it and really this is a wonder, I learn how to play Fmaj7 Guitar Chord. Thanks for this article to share with us. They will help many people like me. Thanks.

20. Your article is helpful for me. You elaborate details about FMAJ7 guitar Chord – How To Play & Finger Positions and also add a video.Yes if we want to develop our guitar playing we need to be more patient and devoted on it. Thanks for Your hard work

21. As mention in the text above, you could find lots of songs that only have a few chords in them – and the same chords you learn as a beginner is still often used by experienced guitarists. This doesn’t make the tune primitive, it is just that the writer of the song discovered it before somebody else, or at least put words to it in a unique way. Here are some well-known songs along with chords – it can be an intro or a fragment; it is just to give you something to bite into.

22. This post helps me to learn plying guiter. Very helpful post. Playing the guitar has become much easier for all the methods you have shown. It has helped me a lot. Thank you.

23. I am a begginer.I was unknown how to change coed and finger position,but this article helps me lot.You nicely described about FMAJ7 guitar cords.Now i am confident

24. I can easily learn to play the guitar by reading articles from here. here is a video to learn how to play the guitar.This doesn’t make the tune primitive, it is just that the writer of the song discovered it before somebody else, or at least put words to it in a unique way. Here are some well-known songs along with chords – it can be an intro or a fragment; it is just to give you something to bite into.

25. This is very nice and helpful article. I can learn a lot from this article. Everyone who is new should read the whole article. Thanks a lot for this article

26. Wow. This article really great and helpful for everyone. This article learn me to playing guitar. this article is really helpful for every new user. I love this post. Thanks a lot for helping me

27. This post helps me to learn plying guiter. Very helpful post.I shall follow all the post of yours. Never miss any of the post.